The Public Holidays Act 2010 (NSW) declares 25 December and 1 January as public holidays. As both 25 December 2016 and 1 January 2017 fall on a Sunday, the following working day is also a public holiday.
As a result, both Tuesday, 27 December 2016 and Monday, 2 January 2017 are public holidays in NSW.
Employers should be aware that these days are an additional public holiday and not a substituted public holiday.
This means that the provisions of the Fair Work Act 2009 and any applicable award or enterprise agreement apply to these days.
If you are unsure of your obligations, you should check the applicable award or enterprise agreement for specific details.
The following days are state wide public holidays:
• Christmas Day - Sunday, 25 December 2016
• Boxing Day - Monday, 26 December 2016
• Additional Day - Tuesday, 27 December 2016
• New Year's Day - Sunday, 1 January 2017
• Additional Day – Monday, 2 January 2017
• Australia Day - Thursday, 26 January 2017